Let's face it: Dublin isn't just about Guinness and leprechauns (though we adore both, don't we?). It's also a mecca for shopaholics! If you've got an itch to explore the retail therapy scene of the Irish capital, you've clicked on the right article. With a dizzying array of vintage stores and high-end boutiques, Dublin offers a shopping experience like no other.
☝️ Please note that this article is a work in progress, and our HeyDublin content team is still actively working on it to ensure that we provide you with the most informative and accurate review. Thank you for being so patient, and stay tuned for updates!
Table of Contents Hide
- Dublin's Main Shopping Areas and Their Typical Opening Hours
- Opening Hours for Museums
- Opening Hours for Bars and Pubs
- Opening Hours for Restaurants
- Dublin Shopping Centres and Their Opening Hours
- Sunday Shopping in Dublin
- Convenience Stores and Their Opening Hours
- Seasonal Variations in Opening Hours
- Late Night Shopping
- Your Ultimate Guide to Opening Hours in Dublin: FAQs Answered
- What are the typical opening hours for shops in Dublin?
- Do shopping centres and department stores in Dublin have extended opening hours?
- Are stores in Dublin open on Sundays?
- Is Grafton Street open on Sundays?
- What are the opening hours for Dundrum Town Centre in Dublin?
- What time do pubs shut in Dublin?
- What are the opening hours for Dublin City Council?
Dublin's Main Shopping Areas and Their Typical Opening Hours
Dublin city can feel like a shopping fairyland with districts showcasing their unique flavour. Imagine streets lined with stores that serve as glittering havens for all your retail fantasies. Are you getting those shopping butterflies yet? Let's look at the opening hours of these shopping sanctuaries.
- Grafton Street: Open typically from 9 am to 6 pm, this bustling shopping street is home to Ireland's major retailers. However, the timings might vary slightly, especially during weekends and holidays.
- Henry Street: Known for its popular retail giants, this shopping area is usually open from 9 am to 7 pm, with extended hours on Thursdays.
- Creative Quarter: A lively hub of independent boutiques and novelty stores, this quarter stays open usually from 10 am to 6 pm.
Below are the Opening Hours for Dublin Shopping Areas:
|Location||Opening Hours||Additional Information|
|Grafton Street||9am – 6pm (Mon-Sat), until 8pm on Thursdays||Home to Brown Thomas, Ireland's most famous lifestyle store|
|Henry Street||9am – 6pm (Mon-Sat), until 8pm on Thursdays||Full of boutiques and international brands|
|St. Stephen's Green Shopping Centre||9am – 7pm (Mon-Fri), 9am – 6pm (Sat), 12pm – 6pm (Sun)||Located at the end of Grafton Street|
|Powerscourt Townhouse Centre||10am – 6pm (Mon-Sat), 12pm – 6pm (Sun)||Luxury shopping center located on South William Street|
|George Street Arcade||9am – 6pm (Mon-Sat), 11am – 6pm (Sun)||Unique shopping mall located on South William Street|
|O'Connell Street||Specific opening hours not found||Dublin's main thoroughfare, full of boutiques and international brands|
|Department Stores, Bookshops, Record Shops||09:30 to 19:00 (Mon-Sat), until 20:00 or 21:00 on Thursdays, midday until 6pm on Sundays||General opening hours for these types of stores|
Opening Hours for Museums
What's a visit to Dublin without diving into its rich cultural tapestry? The city's museums are treasure troves of history and art, waiting to welcome you with open doors (well, mostly!).
- National Museum of Ireland: Opening hours are typically from 10 am to 5 pm, Tuesday to Saturday, and from 2 pm to 5 pm on Sundays.
- Dublinia: This historical recreation museum is open from 10 am to 6:30 pm daily, so plan your medieval journey accordingly.
- Museum of Literature Ireland: Open from 10 am to 6 pm from Wednesday to Sunday.
Pro-Tip: Always check the museum websites before planning your visit, as timings may vary.
|National Gallery of Ireland||Begins to close at 4.50pm daily (7.50pm on Thursdays), starting with the upper floors|
|National Museum of Ireland – Archaeology||10am to 5pm (Tue-Sat), 2pm to 5pm (Sun), Closed on Mondays|
|National Museum of Ireland – Natural History||10am to 5pm (Wed-Fri), 10am to 7pm (Thu), 2pm to 5pm (Sat-Sun), Closed on Mondays and Tuesdays|
|The Little Museum of Dublin||9.30am – 5pm (Mon-Sun), last tour at 4pm|
Opening Hours for Bars and Pubs
No prizes for guessing; pubs and bars form the soul of Dublin's nightlife, and luckily, they have long operating hours. But remember, the Guinness tastes the same at all hours.
- Traditional Irish pubs: These usually open between 10:30 am to 11:30 pm, with an extension till 12:30 am on weekends.
- Modern bars: They typically open around noon and close at 2:30 am.
Opening Hours summary for Bars & Pubs:
|Type of Establishment||Opening Hours|
|Pubs||Open at 10:30 am (Mon-Sat), 12:00 pm (Sun). Close at 11:30 pm (Mon-Thu), 12:30 am (Fri-Sat), 11:00 pm (Sun)|
|Late Licensed Pubs||Can serve until 1:00 am|
|Nightclubs||Can stay open until 6:00 am|
Opening Hours for Restaurants
Dublin’s food scene is a gastronomical delight. From traditional Irish fare to international cuisines, the city offers many choices for the discerning palate.
- Cafes: Open generally from 8 am to 6 pm.
- Bistros and casual dining: Open typically from noon to 11 pm.
- High-end restaurants: Most open their doors from 5 pm and serve until 10 pm.
Remember: Reservation times can greatly influence restaurant hours. So, it's always wise to book ahead.
Dublin Shopping Centres and Their Opening Hours
If retail therapy for you is less about quaint streets and more about gleaming shopping malls, you're in luck! Dublin's shopping centres are packed with a plethora of stores and eateries to keep you busy for hours.
- Dundrum Town Centre: Open from 9 am to 9 pm on weekdays and until 7 pm on weekends.
- Stephen's Green Shopping Centre: Typical hours are 9 am to 8 pm on weekdays and 9 am to 7 pm on weekends.
- Blanchardstown Centre: Open from 9 am to 9 pm on weekdays, 9 am to 7 pm on Saturdays, and 10 am to 6 pm on Sundays.
Below are the Opening Hours for Dublin Shopping Centres:
|Shopping Centre||Opening Hours|
|Liffey Valley Shopping Centre||9:30am – 9pm (Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri, Sat), 9:30am – 9pm (Thu – extended hours), 12pm – 6pm (Sun)|
|Dundrum Town Centre||9am – 9pm (Mon to Wed, Fri, Sat), 9am – 9pm (Thu – extended hours), 10am – 7pm (Sun)|
|Powerscourt Centre||11am – 5pm (Every day, except Sunday when it opens at 12pm)|
Sunday Shopping in Dublin
Sundays in Dublin are far from being a retail ghost town. While shopping hours are generally reduced, the city is anything but shut.
- High Street Shops: Most open around noon and close by 6 pm.
- Sunday markets: These usually operate from 10 am to 4 pm.
Pro-Tip: Don't forget to check out the Sunday markets. You never know what gems you might find!
Convenience Stores and Their Opening Hours
Who hasn't had a sudden craving for snacks at ungodly hours? Dublin's convenience stores are there to the rescue.
- Centra: Most outlets are open from 7 am to 11 pm, with some offering 24-hour service.
- Spar: Opening hours vary by location, with many stores open from early morning till late night, and some even offer 24-hour service.
Below is a table with some more Opening Hours for Dublin Convenience Stores:
|SuperValu||7:00 am – 10:00 pm (varies by location)|
|Lidl||8:00 am – 10:00 pm (varies by location)|
|Tesco||7:00 am – 10:00 pm (varies by location)|
|Aldi||8:00 am – 10:00 pm (varies by location)|
|Dunnes Stores||9:00 am – 9:00 pm (varies by location)|
|Eurospar||7:00 am – 10:00 pm (varies by location)|
|Iceland||8:00 am – 9:00 pm (varies by location)|
|Marks & Spencer||9:00 am – 9:00 pm (varies by location)|
|Donnybrook Fair||8:00 am – 9:00 pm (varies by location)|
|Joyce's||8:00 am – 9:00 pm (varies by location)|
|Fresh||8:00 am – 9:00 pm (varies by location)|
Seasonal Variations in Opening Hours
Much like the beautiful seasons of Dublin, the opening hours, too, have their rhythm. Most stores extend their hours during the festive season and might alter them during public holidays.
- Summer: Expect extended hours, especially in tourist-heavy areas.
- Winter and Holiday Season: Many stores and shopping centres extend their closing hours to cater to Christmas shoppers.
Late Night Shopping
Dublin offers several late-night shopping options for those who prefer shopping under the stars. Some larger shopping centres and convenience stores stay open until 10 PM or later, and there are also a few 24-hour supermarkets for those midnight snack cravings.
Pro-Tip: Late-night shopping is a great way to avoid daytime crowds, but keep in mind that not all stores offer extended hours.
Your Ultimate Guide to Opening Hours in Dublin: FAQs Answered
What are the typical opening hours for shops in Dublin?
Most shops in Dublin are usually open from 9am to 6pm on Mondays to Saturdays. On Thursdays, many stores extend their opening hours until 8pm.
Do shopping centres and department stores in Dublin have extended opening hours?
Yes, some of the city's shopping centres and department stores have extended opening hours. They may stay open until 8pm or 9pm every day, offering more flexibility for shoppers.
Are stores in Dublin open on Sundays?
Yes, stores in Dublin are generally open on Sundays. They typically open from midday until 6pm, allowing people to shop and explore the city during weekends.
Is Grafton Street open on Sundays?
Yes, Grafton Street, one of Dublin's premier shopping streets, is open on Sundays. You can enjoy shopping and other activities in this vibrant area.
What are the opening hours for Dundrum Town Centre in Dublin?
Dundrum Town Centre in Dublin has the following opening hours: Monday to Saturday from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM, Sunday from 11:00 AM to 7:00 PM. Please note that individual store opening hours may vary.
What time do pubs shut in Dublin?
In Dublin, pubs usually shut at different times depending on the day. From Monday to Thursday, the last orders are around 11:30 PM. On Fridays and Saturdays, last orders are around 12:30 AM. On Sundays, pubs typically close by 11:00 PM.
What are the opening hours for Dublin City Council?
Dublin City Council's public opening hours are from Monday to Friday, 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Please note that they are closed on Saturdays, Sundays, bank holidays, and for private events.